Confidentiality: As a member of the Board, I recognize that I owe a fiduciary duty of care to the Hebrew Free Loan. This includes a duty of confidentiality. All information and documentation that I receive from Hebrew Free Loan and others in connection with my service on the Board will be treated with strict confidentiality. Neither the contents nor the existence of this information or documentation will be shared with anyone other than the officers, directors, employees, and authorized agents of Hebrew Free Loan. I will direct any questions regarding my confidentiality obligations to the Hebrew Free Loan Executive Director or President of the Board of Directors.
Conflict of Interest: The broad definition of a “Conflict of Interest” is any relationship that is not or appears not to be in the best interest of the organization and therefore jeopardizes professional judgment, objectivity and independence.
It is understood that all board members support the mission of Hebrew Free Loan.
In order to avoid any conflict of interest concerns:
- Board members are prohibited from engaging in any activity or taking any position which conflicts with, has the potential for conflicting with, or appears to conflict with the interest of Hebrew Free Loan. Conflicts will include being a loan recipient, a guarantor on loans, an individual or entity providing pro bono or fee based services or goods, or offering such goods or services as a broker or agent for an entity, and conducting any other transaction that would involve an exchange of assets between Hebrew Free Loan and a Board Member.
- Board members declare all potential or existing conflicts of interest with Hebrew Free Loan as soon as they are realized. The minutes of all meetings will reflect that a disclosure was made and that the interested Board member or employee abstained from voting.
- Board members must either resolve their conflict of interest or remove themselves from the decision process (discussion and voting). When conflicts of interest cannot be resolved and the Board member cannot sufficiently be removed from the decision process, the person will be asked to resign, by majority resolution of the Board of Directors.
- A Conflict of Interest Statement will be signed and kept on file for all Board members. This statement will detail any existing, perceived, or potential conflicts of interest identified by the individual or the organization.
The foregoing requirements are not to be construed to prevent a particular board member from stating his/her position on the matter, nor from answering pertinent questions of other directors by reason of the fact that personal knowledge on the matter may be of assistance to the other board members in reaching their decision.
Upon joining Hebrew Free Loan’s board, Board Members will:
- Attest to having read this Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Attest in writing that no such relationships as described herein exist.
- Agree to notify the board immediately should their status change.